Sunday, July 6, 2008

A date change ....

So we picked the prime date of the year for an Indian wedding ... bang smack in the middle of the auspicious season for hindus .. luckily the beloved is a Christian and so we were able to shunt the date. And happily also in time, as none of the guests who'll be winging their way from Europe have yet booked tickets .... so we are now done and dusted with downpayment made to the Military club of Calcutta ... for an unkempt patch of green which right now looks like a field which desperately needs a mow, but which I am assured will be transformed into a heavenly wedding venue once the decoration wallahs have had a go. We've also booked a guesthouse near the house and the venue for all the firangis to put up in, so that's another thing done. Now I really have to turn my attention to ... the dress. I was kind of thinking ... dress vs saree .... but I think I'll keep it Western for the wedding ceremony and desi for the evening reception. Looking forward to dressing up all the girlfriends in sarees also .... 

Vivek and I went to a wedding on Friday evening. I had hoped for some inspiration but it was not forthcoming in a traditional indian wedding - booze free, vegetarian and full of people popping in and out to wish the bride and groom, stuffing food into face, and running away. Guests coming to our bash will be forced to sit through a whole round of speeches, and then coerced to strut their stuff on the dancefloor. Vivek has booked a rocking band - friends of his who I saw play in Calcutta and they are just awesome. 

No comments: