Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Day Seven - the filling in the sandwich

So the penultimate day of being single came and went rather unremarkably. It was like discovering that filling in the middle of your fresh store bought sandwich is not the juicy prawn and avocado mix with creamy mayo that you had anticipated, but rather the dried up remnants of a tin of spam with a lick of salad cream. We’d had a wonderful run of days and the anticipation of a fabulous finale to follow so little wonder that the ‘day before’ was generally a damp squib, especially given the size of the hangover which I woke with. Never mix tequila and Moet … haven’t I heard that before somewhere? Result – a sharp piercing pain above the left eye, a day long nausea and a general sense of apathy and mild hysteria. But we both managed to get through the day. Afternoon saw the wedding rehearsal which meant a fierce concentration throughout as my addled brain tried to remember the details of when to walk, kneel and speak. It seemed terribly complicated and the thought of forgetting some fairly significant part of my own wedding ceremony only added to the churn in my gut. I tried to record the feelings of the “day before” for the sake of posterity as and when they were happening but the time ran away in last minute organizing and I felt a little too sick to write. I remember though that the feeling was one of nervous excitement combined with a slight paranoia at being late to the church / having a last minute dress disaster/losing the bridesmaids etc. Not a moment’s concern however about losing the groom at the altar, I felt totally and utterly secure in the knowledge that my husband to be would be waiting there for me with a shine in his eye looking utterly fabulous in his tails and tie.

No comments: